| Read Time: 2 minutes | Auto Accidents
Attorney Portrait

Following your car accident, you may have several questions about how to start building your claim.

While other forms of evidence, such as photographs and witness statements, play a significant role in your claim, accident reports are just as important. 

These reports, filed by the responding police officer, detail the different aspects of the accident. In fact, it often includes observations from the officer that may indicate who is at fault.

As a result, it serves as an essential part of any accident claim. Our Tallahassee, Florida car accident lawyers will explain how you can request a Tallahassee Police Department accident report after your crash.

Ways to Request a Tallahassee Police Department Accident Report

The Tallahassee Police Department typically responds to most car accidents within city limits.

If they happen to respond to yours, there are a few different ways to obtain your report.

Some of these options are more convenient than others depending on the circumstances, so be sure to select the one that works best for you.


By far the easiest way to get an accident report is to order one online. Thankfully, the Tallahassee Police Department (TPD) has a form on its website that you can fill out and submit in as little as five minutes.

Keep in mind that you may need to also send a fee of $0.15-0.20 per page if your report is more than seven pages long. However, the first seven pages of your report are free.

Currently, the TPD accepts payment only in the form of cash, check, or money order.

In Person

If you don’t have reliable internet access, you may also request a record in person. To do so, simply visit the TPD at the following address:

            234 East 7th Avenue

            Tallahassee, FL 32303

Much of the same information needed for the online form is required in person as well. Be sure to call the Records Unit at (850) 891-4221 to confirm their hours before you visit.


To request a Tallahassee Police Department accident report by mail, just send a letter to the location listed above addressed to the Records Unit.

Instead of filling out a form, you may simply include any identifying information and copies of ID.

What You Need When Requesting a Tallahassee Traffic Accident Report

To help the Records Unit locate the correct report, there are certain pieces of information you should include, such as:

  • Your name, address, email, and phone number;
  • The date, time, and location of the car accident; and
  • The case number provided by the responding officer.

Keep in mind that the TPD requires proof that you are an owner of one of the vehicles involved in the accident. You may satisfy this requirement by providing a copy of the title, registration, or insurance card with a form of ID when you submit your request. 

Have Questions About Your Accident Claim? Contact Our Tallahassee Car Accident Attorneys

Figuring out the claims process after a car accident is often frustrating for victims. If you need help obtaining your accident report or have questions about your claim, our Tallahassee car accident attorneys are here to help.

At Nonni Homola, we have decades of combined experience helping victims recover from their injuries. With a track record of success and several industry accolades, we know what is at stake for our clients.

Call us at (850) 601-1111 or fill out our online form today to schedule a free consultation.

Author Photo

Mark continued his studies at Florida State University College of Law, graduating cum laude in 2008. While in law school, Mark was a member of the Journal of Land Use & Environmental Law and the Journal of Transnational Law & Policy, as well as a certified legal intern with the FSU Public Interest Law Center, where he assisted low-income clients with a wide range of family law issues. He also served as a law clerk intern to The Honorable L. Clayton Roberts of Florida’s First District Court of Appeal.

Rate this Post
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars